Young Women in Public Affairs Award
The Young Women in Public Affairs Award honors young women of age 16 to 19, who demonstrate a commitment to leadership in public policy, government and volunteer organizations. The program operates at the Zonta club, district and international levels.
Women of any nationality who are students of age 16-19, living or studying in a Zonta district/region at the time of application and demonstrate evidence of the following are eligible to apply:
- Active commitment to volunteerism
- Experience in local or student government
- Volunteer leadership achievements
- Knowledge of Zonta International and its programs
- Advocating in Zonta International’s mission of advancing the status of women worldwide
Our YWPA award was given to Grade 12 student, Hannah Nicholls-Harrison. Hannah was a guest speaker at one of our meetings last year, and had presented her school “public speaking” speech about Female Genital Mutilation. This year her school speech was about Human Trafficking, and we hope to have her present it at a future meeting. Hannah also won the District 4 Award.
2012 Kristen Berge – St. Mary’s HIgh School grade 12 student
2014 – Emma-Cole McCubbin a grade 12 student from John Diefenbaker S.S. Hanover